Monday, September 7, 2015

Freekeh Review

Hello!  I know I say this after every long hiatus, but I really do plan to get into a writing routine.  (And let's be honest, a routine in general).  One thing that has been needing some serious attention lately is my meal planning.  Luckily, my affiliation with Fit Approach through the Sweat Pink Ambassador team allowed me to team up with Freekeh Foods to review their product.

I apologize for the photo quality.  Still rocking the selfies over here.
Hoping to get that fixed one day very soon! Or to bring back an actual camera...

Freekeh is pronounced "free-kah" (makes me want to sing some Missy Elliott!) and is organic roasted green wheat.  If you're anything like me, you are probably thinking something along the lines of "what the heck is that?"  It's basically a rice. You cook it the same basic way (boil water, add freekeh, reduce heat, cover, simmer) and it works as a great base for my beloved veggie burger bowls.  I really appreciate how easy freekeh is to make.  I actually whipped up a batch to go with veggie burgers and feta for my friend and myself before running in an evening race and it was the perfect pre-race fuel!  It wasn't too heavy and settled pretty quickly.    I really want to make stuffed peppers with it!  Freekeh has 6 grams of protein a serving which is also a win in my book, especially on meatless days which happen pretty often around here.




I received the Rosemary Sage flavor and the Original flavor.  I've got to be honest when I say that the original was my favorite.  I'm not sure why, but it seemed to have more flavor (or maybe it was the fact that it was SO good with cheese!).  I liked the Rosemary Sage, but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to buy it, where as the Original flavor I totally would.  Just a quick note about freekeh--it says that each bag is a 4 person serving, but when I measured it out, I actually ended up with two additional servings.  I have no problem with bonus!

Now here's the fun part: You can win your own package of freekeh!  You can choose either Original, Rosemary Sage, or Tamari.  Sorry international friends, only US Residents qualify this time!  To enter, please follow Freekeh on Twitter and Instagram (@freekehfoods) and like them on Facebook.  Tweet about the giveaway using the hashtags #LoveFreekeh and #Freekeh and then leave me a comment telling me you did so.  (I know that seems like a lot of steps, BUT totally worth it!)  I will randomly choose a winner on Thursday, September 10.

Good luck!

**Disclaimer: I was given two packages of freekeh to review because of my affiliation with Fit Approach and the Sweat Pink Ambassadors.  I was not required to give a positive review and all opinions are my own. **


1 comment:

  1. After seeing their instagram pictures, I'm even more intrigued by this! I did all the steps :)

    ReplyDelete