Friday, January 23, 2015

Friday 5: Poor Shamrock

Shamrock is officially less than two months away!  I have no idea how I managed to complete every single one of my runs in my super long training plan last year.  This time around I seem to be struggling in more ways than one.  I'm linking up with Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia for the Friday 5!  Make sure to check out all the great blogs.  It's growing every week, so you'll have plenty of reading material for this snowy weekend!

1. Germs, germs, germs.  Annnnd I'm sick again.  Not trying to whine, but didn't I just get done with this?  I started getting a tickle in my throat on Thursday and by Saturday night my nice friend and I started out weekend getaway with a trip to CVS for Nyquil and decongestants.  I'm really fun to date.

2. Weekend get aways are amazing.  Even though I was gross, I had the best time.  We did a quick trip to Lexington, Virginia, to celebrate my nice friend's birthday.  We started with Devil's Backbone Brewery and then Blue Lab Brewing (which has the best logo in the world!).  We also got in a lot of amazing walks and I had a great (although slow) run around downtown.  I loved getting to see the mountains!  The area was absolutely beautiful.  This may be lame, but our hotel had tea and honey available 24/7 and it was incredible being able to have tea whenever my heart desired.





3. Pup did not love weekend getaways.  Poor, poor Maddux.  When I picked him up, the sitter said that he hadn't been feeling very well.  That was a bit of an understatement, as we ended up at the vet with my sweet boy hooked up to an IV getting pumped with fluids and medications.  No worries, he is doing much, much better, but it definitely gave me a scare and I am so thankful for a vet who doesn't judge me as I break down in her office.




4. Crap weather.  Wintery mixes and freezing temps makes it SO hard to get out from under my covers.  I know this is stupid, but I'm in such a rut lately (not just with running, but with most things in general) and snuggling with my pup has won out on way too many occasions.

5. Motivation.  It's just not there at the moment and I can't say why.  I am beyond excited for the race itself and I had a great 8 miler a couple of weeks ago, so I'm right on track.  I know this post makes it seem like I've missed most of my runs, and that's not true.   I've stuck mostly to my plan,  I'm simply having a hard time wanting to get out there.  My fire from last year is gone and I'm not really sure what I need to do to get it back.

Sorry to have such a downer post, I just needed to get it out there so maybe I can start to put a better foot forward.  Any ideas on how to get back in the groove would be greatly appreciated!  This may seem silly, but doing a major cleaning of my apartment is the first thing on my list.  I think once I feel more organized I will feel better about life!  I'm also looking forward to running with my group again, because it's been way too long!

What do you do when you get in a weird place with running?  Bring on the thoughts!  I'm ready to be back!

**PS--It might help to have more friends run Shamrock!  Sign up before it sells out!  It's getting close!  It's one of my favorite races ever!

8 comments:

  1. I've had a hard time getting out of bed to run for the last several weeks. I snuggle with my Mini who looks just like Maddux. I think it's just this time of year. I've go to start training soon, so I can't make excuses. It's funny, once I get up and out I'm fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, once I'm out the door I'm usually happy I'm there, but it's that first step out that I'm not doing so well with :-) And I totally support puppy snuggles! (esp when it's with my dog's twin!)

      Delete
  2. It's definitely this time of year! You know Barley dog and I been having trouble finding motivation, too. One thing that's helped is having that goal to just get out the door every day--no matter how long or how far--and usually as long as it's not painful for one or both of us to stay out longer, we find ourselves sucking it up and walking a kind of normal length. Rewards are always a big motivator, too--so I've earned lots of cups of cider and hot chocolate from walking in the cold :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to come up with some rewards I think haha. It's helped that the days are getting slightly longer though. Makes it somewhat easier to get out the door!

      Delete
  3. oh no - i'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. i hope your nice friend takes care of you and maddux and nurses you both back to health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney!! We are both feeling much better! I'm surprised he still dates us. Neither Maddux nor I were pleasant to be around haha!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about everything. I hope you start to feel better, and I think your motivation will start to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! It helped just getting it all out! :-)

      Delete