Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Week 11 Update

I'm officially over half way to race day!  I can't believe how fast the time is flying by.  It seems like it wasn't that long ago that I was sitting and planning out how my plan was going to go.  After 11 weeks (and no missed runs woo!) I think I'm finally going to have to make some minor adjustments.

This week running was TOUGH.  I'm not sure exactly why (although I'm guessing I might be on the verge of getting a cold), but I've just been really tired.  I can't complain that the first 10 weeks of my plan felt basically strong overall, but it was a little disappointing this week having legs that felt like lead.  Even my arm workouts were hard!  I swear somebody added some weight to my little 5 pounders ;-)

I did a good job planning ahead this week.  I made sure to get one of my runs done early in the week so I wouldn't have to worry about fitting it in if life got busy (when the treadmills are open you have to snag 'em!).  I had plans to meet my college roommate and another of our sorority sisters to try on bridesmaids dresses on Saturday and since I wasn't sure how long it would take and the weather was less than stellar I decided to knock out one of my weekend runs on Friday.  It was nice to be able to just hang out with the girls without having a workout looming over my head.

Can't wait to see this girl a TON for wedding fun this year!

Saturday night I might have had just a little too much fun, so I shouldn't have been surprised that my long run felt so hard, BUT after a glorious, speedy (for me) 9 mile run a couple of weeks ago I couldn't help being a little disappointed.  Yes, it felt good to have my 10 miles done, but it would have been nice for it to have felt a little better.  I need to make sure that I'm taking care of fueling during my runs.  I only had two shot bloks left, and while it ended up being ok, I think it definitely would have helped to have a couple more, even just for motivation's sake.  I did keep a muffin and some craisins stashed in my car and ended up eating them on the way home, so that helped a little, but I was nervous to eat them during my run!  I didn't want to make matters worse!

*Embarrassing side story: I had to take my nice friend to the airport and headed straight to the trail afterward for my run.  I guess I took hydrating a little too seriously because I thought I was going to wet my pants by the time I got to the trail.  I figured I would be able to make it to the Portapotty, but by the time I got to its location I realized it was GONE.  I quickly hustled to the next one about a mile down the trail and it was gone, too!  At this point I'm in a complete panic (I mean, there aren't a whole lot of options along a somewhat crowded trail..) and I ended up crashing a baby shower in the little community area.  Luckily, they were just setting up and were the nicest people ever, but maaaaan.  Not my favorite moment haha!  At least that first mile or so was fast!!)

This weekend I have an 8x800 instead of a long run.  I'm debating switching this for an easier mid distance run.  I'm going to wait and see how my body is feeling before I make any decisions.  Maybe my body was just tired, it happens, but I want to make sure the majority of my runs left in this plan are strong and if that means easing up a little then that's what I'll do.  I realized that my 21 week plan is actually a 20 week plan as I was entering dates in (oops) so I had to adjust the end a little bit by switching a speed workout the week before for an easier run.  I'm also going to have to plan out my runs a little better coming up because I have some fun travel plans coming up!  I just found out my brother is coming along, too, so I'm even more excited!

We plan on reenacting this moment.


Happy running!!


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week! I'm cracking up that you "crashed" the shower. LOL I guess it's better than squatting along the trail! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, I figured it was less embarrassing to ask than to actually pee myself ;-)

      Delete
  2. I also cracked up over the baby shower crashing! And good luck recreating that picture--you'll be doing it with invisible, imaginary food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha not my finest moment. And I know.....no worries I am packing snacks.

      Delete