Monday, October 21, 2013

Getting Back into a Routine

My days of crazy travel are over! (for now.)   On Monday I got back from visiting Georgia for my childhood best friend's wedding (and a quick trip to see my brother who graciously housed Maddux for the weekend!).  While I had a blast hanging with my little bro and seeing my beautiful best friend tie the knot, it was nice to know that I had some days of normalcy ahead.  No obligations, nothing to train for. Sometimes this old lady just can't handle all the excitement!

Reunited after a way too long separation!

I promised myself when I got back that I would finally start a real workout routine and make an effort to eat healthier.  Yes, I had been running in prep for my half marathon, but my overall fitness level has just been kind of blah.  I haven't felt like my normal, healthy self.

Guys, seriously, I am so weird.  Once I finally didn't have to run, it's all I really wanted to do.  I got in three runs this week (two sets of intervals and one relaxed run where I totally got lost in my thoughts) and two sessions of a 15 minute total body workout followed by 30 minutes of intervals on the elliptical.  Embarrassingly enough, I've been really sore this whole past week.  I guess cross training has it's place after all ;-)

This weekend was amazing and I finally felt recharged.  Maddux and I enjoyed a long walk at our favorite park on Sunday.  It's finally starting to feel like fall and the changing leaves made our walk so pretty!

This picture doesn't do it justice. 
I even tried out a couple of recipes that have been hanging out on my Pinterest board for at least a year. While the spinach feta turkey burger recipe wasn't my ultimate favorite, the tortellini vegetable soup turned out pretty good and was a quick, easy alternative to my normal soup recipe!

I'm thinking some good fall relaxing is just what I need.  Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! Bar and I have been slacking on our mileage between rainy weather, extra work, and shorter days--so even though we were still walking, we were both getting flabby from not walking as much--and now that we've kicked it in gear this weekend my muscles are not happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope it gets easier as we get back in it! A little muscle soreness is kinda nice (it's definitely toned if it's sore, right?), but I don't think I can pull of the limping girl swagger.

      Delete