Tuesday, April 9, 2013

This is Going to be Interesting

I've been really busy lately.  I know, who isn't?  I've been trying to get my life together as much as possible before I skip town for my best friend's wedding!  I can't wait to celebrate her big day!

With all the running around, there ironically enough has not been much running.  I decided to go for a 6 mile run/walk on Friday.  I wasn't really sure what to expect since I haven't done a lot of distance in the past couple of months.  I know that unless a miracle happens I will be run/walking the Nike Women's Half so I just wanted to see about what my pace would be (I'm terrified of being picked up by the sweeper!!).

The run got off to a bit of a rough start.  Before the first mile was up I got that terrible urge to pee and knew I wasn't going to make it 5 more miles without wetting my pants.  Luckily the park bathrooms are open again so I avoided what could have been a terrible situation.

Miles 2-4 weren't stellar.  I had to take some walk breaks, but since I knew I was doing a run/walk I wasn't too broken up about it.  After mile 4 I took a quick water and stretch break and ended up running the last 2.2 miles (when you're that close to a 10k you may as well go all the way right?) feeling somewhat strong.  Honestly, the best part of the run was the fact that I got to wear shorts again, but it was nice knowing that I could make it that far without dying.

Unfortunately, my quads decided that they really didn't like getting back into running.  Saturday they were so sore and I suppose my cross training Saturday night (aka dancing the night away at my friend's Bachelorette party) didn't help.  When I went on my run Monday evening my quads were screaming and felt like they wanted to rip right off my bones.  Needless to say, the Nike race should be interesting if this is what running a 10k will do to me.  Despite my nervousness, I'm still very excited now that I've changed my mindset and goals for it.  I can't believe how soon it will be here!

On a completely different note, Maddux wanted you to know that on Sunday he will be turning 6.



I hope everyone's week is off to a great start!


2 comments:

  1. Happy early birthday to my nephew pup. And while I don't want you to actually get caught by the sweeper, I kind of love that image and almost hope it happens so you can tell an entertaining store about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well if that does happen then I don't think I get my necklace so hopefully I can wait until another race to get that particular story ;-) Maddux had a great birthday!! :)

      Delete