Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Inclement Weather Running

Today is a snow day woohoo!  While I am definitely not a fan of the cold (the southern in me will never fully go away no matter how long I'm gone) I do love a surprise midweek day off.  It's been nice lounging in my pajamas (I may never change out of them) and taking my time with my coffee watching  my beloved Rachael Ray.

We ventured out and Maddux was not pleased.

I'm still not able to run (grr), but watching the snow fall made me think about running in different kinds of weather.  It's funny how runners are so different.  Some runners can't stand the treadmill and would rather run outdoors no matter what the circumstances.  Some runners prefer the treadmill no matter what the weather.  I fall somewhere in between.

Don't get me wrong, I love running outside and some days it pains me to have to hop on the treadmill.  I love my trails and I think running is one of the best ways to explore your city.  I've found so many of my favorite places in my city because of running.  Some days though when I just don't feel like I can make it it's nice to know that the treadmill is there for me.  My water is right there, I have my music to pump me up (I typically leave the music at home on outdoor runs), and I know if it turns out I really can't make it, I am right where I started just a couple minutes away from home.

When the weather is sunny and the temperatures just right I usually don't find myself dragging to get out on the roads.  When it's sprinkling out (let's be real, if it's pouring rain there's no way) or even snowing it takes me a lot little longer to get my butt out the door.  Secretly though?  I feel kind of badass running when the weather conditions are less than perfect.  My seven miler (man, that seems like forever ago) was pretty much all in a light snow, and while it's really not that big of a deal I felt all big and bad because I was out there when not a lot of other people were.  When I'm running in the rain and I see people in cars giving me those "that girl is crazy" look, I embrace it and think "Yeah I am!  Crazy about RUNNING! WOO!"  Without the rain and snow I wouldn't have half of those badass moments.

Anybody else feel the same way?  It's ok if I'm alone here--I gotta take my moments when I can!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your surprise day off and I love this picture of my nephew pup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love it, too. I really needed that day.

      Delete