Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Why REI Doesn't Want Me as a Member

This week has been very relaxed.  I had to adjust my running schedule because I have some fun things going on this weekend that probably aren't going to allow time for running in between without me feeling super rushed.  Since I am on summer vacation I see no problems with moving things around.

Monday I took my run to a nearby trail.  I started my run at 8:30!  Probably a record for the summer.  I felt decent for the first 31 minutes of my run, which was exciting seeing that the outdoor runs have not exactly been anything to brag about lately.  After those glorious 31 minutes, my legs started getting pretty heavy, but I was really proud of my mental stamina.  I pushed through quite a few times when it would have been super easy to take a walk break.  My Nike+ said I covered about 4.25 in a little over 45 minutes.  That needs some work..

Yesterday, I did my cross training on the elliptical with the same work out as last week.  I actually haven't done much cross training until this past week, so right now the elliptical is still working out ok for me.  After the gym, I got to have a date night to see the new Bat Man movie.  I really liked it!  The story moved along quickly and there was some definite eye candy in it ;-)

Maddux may not have been my date, but I got some quality cuddle time in last night with my favorite boy :)


This morning Maddux was the perfect alarm pup, but when we went out for our morning walk it was raining pretty hard.  I took this as my cue to get back in bed.

Maddux didn't mind some extra snoozin' either.
By the time I woke up again, I decided I may as well lounge a little and enjoy some coffee and real breakfast before running on the treadmill.  I didn't get out the door for my run until almost 11:30!  So much for practicing running earlier.  It turned out to be a good decision, because it really boosted my confidence after having some less than stellar runs.  I ran a little over 5 miles and hit my 5 mile mark at 45:43 which is the fastest I've done it in a LONG time.  Yay running!  As much as I hate to say it, I am leaning towards doing my 11.5 miles on the treadmill...

But Mom, what about on Race Day?  You can't use a treadmill then!
I know it's taking the "easy" way out, if you can even call running 11.5 miles easy.  If you can, please tell me your secret.  I'm thinking it will be best for now and I can practice using my water and fuel (Cliff Shot Blocks!) one time before taking it outside.  I know...

Now, on to my REI story.  You may recall that I ordered a snazzy running belt a couple of weeks ago.  Needless to say, that company let me down.  I won't get into that too much, but basically they were quite rude and weren't even going to notify me as to why my order was cancelled (even though I got an email saying it had shipped!  Weird.).  Anyway, I decided to go with a company I knew and order a new one. 

I had the belt shipped to REI because there's one really close to my house (who knew?) and I saved like 8 bucks on shipping.  As I waited in line, the cashier was going on and on trying to convince this guy to become a member (apparently there are millions of perks).  When it was my turn, he just got my order and hardly said two words to me.  

Maybe he knew this was in the box and couldn't bear the thought of having its owner in his secret club.  OR MAYBE, he saw my log cabin t-shirt and assumed I was the president of the club.  Or something.
 
Yes, I promise not to wear it up that high, I just wanted to make sure it got in the picture.  You may not believe it, but my phone fit really easily and there was enough room for me to add other good stuff, too, like my car key or some shot blocks.  I haven't actually run in it yet, but I have a good feeling about it.

That's all the news from today!  Keep your fingers crossed for a good long run on Friday! :)

1 comment:

  1. No. If you own that thing, you HAVE to wear it that high.

    ReplyDelete