Saturday, August 25, 2012

New Challenge

I am going to have to get the mental piece of my running together pronto.  It was my first week back working and it was exhausting.  I decided ahead of time that my running days would turn from Tuesday and Thursday to Wednesday and Friday.  Maddux is alone longer than I would like while I'm at work, but his dog walker (who is AMAZING) comes twice a week so I don't feel quite as guilty.

Don't leave me!

So far the work week has been really productive.  On Tuesday we did a team building scavenger hunt around DC.  Our group is really competitive so my team was basically running around the city to make it to each location.  I think that counts as a workout.    

When I got home on Wednesday I was exhausted and wasn't feeling super great.  After our fun day in DC, sitting in meetings for a couple of hours was really tough.  All I wanted to do was lie down, but Maddux gets his walk ASAP when I get home.  His 'roid rage is still in effect (though not as bad as before) so he did not want any part of cuddling on the couch with me and relaxing.  Eventually, I got myself out the door for my run.  I told myself that I only had to make it 30 minutes and then I could come home and nap.  Guess what?  That was the best run I've had in a really long time.  It was warm, but there was a nice breeze.  I ran my entire 45 minutes without having to stop once, which is a HUGE accomplishment for outdoor runs these days.  

I'm not sure how my Nike+ is calibrated right now, but it said I was incredibly slow.   According to it I was running about 11 minute miles.  Regardless if that is true or not, I don't even care.  It felt so good and I was really, really happy with how well it went.  I even did my arm routine after!

Friday was a different story.  An impromptu meeting came up about a situation that needed immediate attention and I got home much later than I would have liked.  I felt bad about leaving Maddux again and have vowed to make up my run today.  Sometimes life is a balancing act.  I recently read a post from Runner's Kitchen that put things in perspective for me.  Basically, she pointed out that nobody is making us run or sign up for races and if training means sacrificing other parts of our life it's because we chose to make it a big part of our life.  On the other hand, when I signed up to bring Maddux into my family it was not so that he would sit in an empty apartment all day by himself.  

I am much too cute to leave.

So those are my thoughts for the day.  Today's plan is to restock my wine rack fridge and run my 45 minute run.  Tomorrow is speed work!  Woo!  

Happy weekend! :-)


2 comments:

  1. 1) What the heck were you doing up that early?!
    2) In the first picture, Nephew Pup looks like he is about to go all Incredible Hulk on you.
    3) The second picture makes me giggle.
    4) I am glad I am not the only one restocking my "fridge" today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Haha, I think it might be in a different time zone or something because I was still in bed then! Plus, I walked Maddux, went back to bed, and then made breakfast before I wrote that and you KNOW that didn't all happen before 7AM.

    2. He probably did.

    3. Me too! He looks like he did after his sedatives, but he was just hot in this one :-)

    4. I bet the stuff you buy at the store is mostly red or white ;-)

    ReplyDelete